America’s Best Employers 2018
Move forward with us! At NJ TRANSIT, you will join us in transforming the third-largest transportation agency in North America. We are committed to delivering safe, reliable service that gets our customers to their destinations on time – and we are looking to hire talented people with a love of learning to make it all possible!
DIRECTOR, MAINTENANCE TRAINING
The Director of Maintenance Training for Surface Transit will be responsible for designing and developing critical training programs, including the Technician Apprentice Program, using various training methods including classroom and web-based material. The Director will work with Leadership to develop, implement, and oversee a leading-edge vehicle maintenance training program for more than 1,400 Bus Maintenance employees.
- Design maintenance management, skill assessment, and developmental training programs, including the Technician Apprentice Program, using various methods of training including classroom and web-based material.
- Identifies and analyzes workforce metrics (such as position turnover, miles between mechanical road incidents, defect history and out of service rates) for Bus Maintenance staff of more than 1,400 employees with the goal of improving work product, reducing repair time and costs associated with repairs.
- Interfaces with DGM, Maintenance and interacts with Maintenance Directors to establish a standard performance identification framework, assess training needs, identify knowledge/skill gaps, and propose training candidates who would benefit from a refresher and intervention training.
- Creates and integrates measures of success and relevant analytics to evaluate training effectiveness regularly, and make changes to material as needed to maintain relevance; drive recommendations through to implementation to increase the impact and ROI for Bus Operations.
- Directs online training programs that serve to provide just-in-time training including the knowledge bank resource housed within Bus Operations’ LMS, Cornerstone.
- Designs training for new technologies including, but not limited to, Clever, AVM, repair of new onboard security systems, etc. to ensure Maintenance employees are well prepared to service such equipment.
- Communicates and coordinates with manufacturers on new equipment purchases, community colleges, and other TRANSIT properties regarding shared best practices, and vendors on implementation of technology (e.g. learning delivery or learning management programs) to enable efficiency and transfer of learning.
- Manages and measures learning strategy by putting the right framework around the frequency of coaching and training delivery strategy for various levels; measure results, refine vendors and agreements, and partner with the right coaches based on data and return.
- Establishes and maintains communications and liaisons with operations and support management as well as agreement personnel at all levels within the company.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma (Bachelor’s degree preferred)
- Eight (8) years of experience in a diesel-powered vehicle maintenance department, to include five (5) years of experience in maintenance instruction and three (3) years of experience in supervision of maintenance activities and Maintenance staff.
- Must have experience working with a Learning Management System (LMS) and Microsoft Office.
- Master Technician ASE Certification in transit bus or truck highly desired
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- The ability to develop and implement learning surveys and evaluations, interpret results, and report on program effectiveness is needed.
- Must be able to prepare lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, and training materials, teach in both classroom and field environments using proper teaching techniques and operate all audiovisual equipment unassisted.
At NJ TRANSIT you will enjoy a competitive salary and excellent benefits package:
Comprehensive Family Health Insurance – Dental, Prescription, Vision
Flexible Spending Account
Paid Time Off
401(a) and 401(k) Retirement Plans–up to 9% employer contribution
Qualified Transportation Expense Plan (QTE)
At NJ TRANSIT we support and depend upon the diversity of our staff.
NJ TRANSIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.njtransit.com.